Almaty Technological University (ATU) is known as one of the leading scientific – educational centers of Central Asia, which successfully implements highly qualified professionals and highly qualified scientific personnel training for the food processing, textile and light industries, service and hospitality industry.
It should be noted that ATU has more than 60% of Kazakhstani doctors and 45% of candidates of science and PhD in the field of food and light industry that emphasizes the powerful scientific potential and leading positions of the university among universities of the Republic of Kazakhstan. In recognition of the University leadership in this regard is its approval as National Coordinator of 7th Framework Programme of the European Union on the thematic area of “Food and Biotechnology” (BIO-NCP) by the Order No 394 of the Ministry of Education and Science of the Republic of Kazakhstan in 2010, the establishment of the Committee on technical regulation and metrology of the Republic of Kazakhstan in 2008 of Technical Committee for standardization No 67 – “Technologies and the food of a new generation”, which is a full member of the International technical Committee ISO TC 34 “Food products”. In the ATU successfully work Dissertation Councils for doctoral theses to be awarded the degree of Doctor of Philosophy (PhD) with direction “Technology of food industry “and” Technology of light and processing industries”.
Annual growth of scientific publications of university scientists in international authoritative rating directly linked to the introduction of a new system of rating assessment of scientific activities of faculty staff, as well as open access to such international ranking scientific databases as Thomson Reuter, Springer and Scopus. “Bulletin of the ATU” scientific journal is being published at the University since 1996 included in the list of publications recommended by the Committee for Control in the sphere of Education and Science of the Ministry of Education and Science of the Republic of Kazakhstan.
PRIORITIZED RESEARCH AREAS
In accordance with the principal mission of the University, as well as the goals and objectives that are implemented in the course of its activities, taking into account existing scientific schools, were defined the main research areas in the University. These areas were defined on the basis of the objectives and priorities of the Republic as a whole:
– technology and storage technology, processing of plant and animal origin raw materials;
– innovative technology of functional food products of the rapeutic and prophylactic purposes;
– innovative methods of design and technology of textile and light industry; – biotech, chemical, and environmental aspects of food products;
– food products and non-food products safety;
– improve the management of economical mechanism of development of food, light industry, hospitality industry.
Evidence of the effectiveness and recognition of the achievements of university scientists and republican world scientific community are:
– Gold medals and prizes of Fund of the First President of the Republic of Kazakhstan – Leader of the Nation for the scientific development of young scientists (2010, 2012, 2014);
– European and Eurasian patents: “Method for producing dairy products (variants)”, “Method of non-thermal processing of milk”, and US Patent “Method for producing dairy products (variants)”;
– Gold and silver medals of such prestigious international exhibitions, forums and competitions in Moscow as “Golden Autumn” Russian Agricultural Exhibition (2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016). “Meat industry” International Forum (2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016), “Agroprodmash 2012, 2013, 2014, 2016” exhibition of Achievements;
– Gold medal of Fair of achievements of AIC of Kazakhstan “Karaotkel zharmenkesі” (Astana, 2011), organized by the Ministry of Agriculture of the Republic of Kazakhstan;
– Gold medal at “Kazakhstan Food Market” International Exhibition of food products (2014, 2015, Almaty);
– Gold, sapphire buttons at “Siberian couturier” International competition of fashion designers (Novosibirsk, Russia, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015);
– Grand Prix at the contest of young designers – “Siberian designer”, “Admiralty Needle”, “Podium”, “Caspian Week of Fashion”, “Zhas -Orken” and others.
At the international competition among universities of the world – “Science and Education”, held as part of the Oxford Summit of Leaders – 2013 out of 10 nominations, ATU became the best in 2 nominations: “Best Innovative Project” and “Best Student”.
According to the Plans of international and national scientific and technical activities in ATU annually are carried out 2 international and 1 Republican scientific-practical conferences with international participation:
– International scientific-practical conference “Innovative development of food processing, light industry and the hospitality industry”;
– International scientific-technical conference “Kazakhstan Cold”.
– Republican conference of young scientists “SCIENCE. EDUCATION. YOUTH”.
The development of the university receives the system of commercialization of researches: high scientific and creative potential of the university allowed in the past five years to offer enterprises of food and processing industry of the Republic about 100 innovative projects, over 55 of which were implemented in the workplace. Among them – the advanced system of slit aspiration in “Altyn Diermen” JSC, ionozone, cavitation technology of grain processing in “KazBestGray”LLP, technology of production of new types of corn bread “Cellulose” and “Ideal” at “Aksay” Baked goods factory LLP, economically clean laser technology of milk processing on “AukatObis LTD” FMPLLP, an apparatus for determining the color in «RG Brands Kazakhstan»LLP and others.
ATU activities aimed at ensuring the continuity of the innovation cycle “education – research – innovation development – practical use”, as well as the strengthening of human resource capacity, capable of designing and implementing innovative projects.
Priority directions of development of scientific potential of the university:
– integration of scientific research, educational activities and high-tech production, in partnership with leading foreign universities and research centers;
– improving the integration of training specialists in the field of high technologies and modern management in close collaboration with the basic enterprises and research institutes.
Innovative infrastructure of the university consists of 3 research institutes, working on the basis of 9 research laboratories, 15 faculties of the university, 7 scientific – production centers: bread, meat, milk, macaroni and mini – mill; Kazakh-Korean Education and Research Center; Scientific – production centers of “Asem Service” Industry Fashion and Textile, “Fashion Center”, as well as specialized laboratories for research masters and doctoral of PhD.
Council of Young Scientists (CYS) was organized in the University in order to consolidate the efforts of young scientists and specialists in the development of relevant scientific issues and addressing of priority scientific problems functioning. Scientific achievements of young scientists of the University are rightly noted by the Foundation of the First President of the Republic of Kazakhstan. These achievements contribute to the support and development of youth science prestige and image of the University as a whole.
Today Almaty Technological University has a bright future, it is a general course to innovative University and then becoming one of the world-class Universities.